Saturday, July 14, 2012

Haze

     It's been a while since I wrote anything serious. It has also been a while since I described some sort of abnormal world, and apparently that's what I'm best at. This certainly has some contrasting descriptions to it, good practice.


     The word "beautiful" could never describe such a place as this. There are flowers scattered across the ground like marbles from a toy box, each one bearing buds of light. Trees tower overhead, pulsing slightly as they sway in a colorful breeze. Islands twist and spiral across the sky. There are people everywhere. Some of them are singing songs of such vast variety. Some are humming and whistling and whispering words I can never hear. Some are dying and some are laughing and the drops of blood become the seeds of a thousand glittering stars across the daylight. Someone is screaming in pure agony somewhere in the distance, but his calls clarify to the songs of a bird. All of their emotions flood my senses and contrast each other to a confusing sense of tranquility. Chaotic, yet peaceful. Everything here is perfect. I am one in this crowd, one in this vast number of people, and that is how it should be.
     But nothing can be perfect forever.
     Slowly, one, by one, the people start to go away. Disappearing in a sparkling cloud of dust which slowly falls to the ground like glitter. The islands spiral downward and land almost delicately on the ground which starts to slip away as if sucked down by quicksand. The clouds move faster and faster, pulled to the horizon as if repelled by some force in the center of the sky. The most graceful destruction. A haze starts to spread from the inside out. I can no longer differentiate between where the ground and sky used to be. I can see nothing, not even what keeps me suspended here. Not even my own body. But not even that exists anymore. It's just one mind, one string of consciousness, and I realize that nothing I saw moments ago ever existed to begin with. It was just a dream in my mind that the haze has blocked out. A dream in my mind that I used to deny my true existence, here, in this darkness. There is nothing in front of me, and nothing behind. Nothingness everywhere, that is how the world always was and that is how it always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment